Ex-girlfriend of man killed by police yesterday missing one week today

FOX 17 Reporter Mikayla Lewis reports on missing Nashville-area woman (WZTV).

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A man is dead after an officer-involved shooting Friday in Clarskville. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says, the ordeal began when officers went to an apartment to question James Vaughn about the recent disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

Investigators are not releasing the missing woman's name, but her family is today.

Letitia Lane's family says today marks one week since she disappeared.

Lane's son, Jasper Howard says, "She was excellent. She was always supportive of everything I've done, and she loved all three of her kids."

Howard and other loved ones met with other community members in Madison on Saturday to continue efforts to bring his mother home.

Antoine Lane, Lane's brother says, "Had a family meeting here today and some of the officers have shown up to express their support for us and their continued efforts to finding my sister. "

Wilma Taylor says, "My heart has just been weeping for her to return. We were very hopeful that police could get in touch with her ex-boyfriend, so he could give us some leads. We were very fearful that he could have done something. He would show up to her job unannounced..."

Taylor says James Vaughn picked up her 46-year-old daughter last weekend, after they dated for years.

"She had broken up with him. He asked her if she would go out with him, one last time and know one has seen or heard from her since," Taylor explains.

Her daughter is a dedicated employee of AT&T of nearly 25-years, her family shared.

AT&T put out a statement: "We’re very concerned for Letitia and hoping for her safe return. We’re working with law enforcement and will help them however we can in their investigation."

Taylor says, "They called Monday reaching out for her to come to work, because this is something totally out of character."

After multiple failed attempts to reach Lane via phone, a co-worker got through.

According to Taylor, "The employee could hear rustling like somebody was trying to get to the phone and they said can't talk now. Then she calls back immediately and heard my daughter crying."

That's when the family called police, says Taylor.

"Previously, we were looking for James and my sister," Lane's brother says.

Vaughn, according to Letitia's son, "Was always quiet, he really didn't ever talk to my brothers or sisters."

The TBI says Clarksville police went to talk to the 49-year-old man on Friday about the case. Despite the subject firing several rounds at officers, and multiple efforts and hours of officers not returning fire; investigators say officers shot and killed Vaughn when he pointed two guns at them later on.

"He didn't tell them where my daughter was and that what was very upsetting, " says Letitia's mother.

"Of course we feel behind the 8-ball, but we're just hopeful and prayerful that someone will reach out to us and tell us where she is and just bring my sister home," says her brother.

Lane's son adds, "I love all the support and appreciate all the support and we are going to need everybody's help to find her."

Anyone with information on Leticia Lane's whereabouts, her family asks that you call Metro Police 615-862-8600 or call 615-484-1777.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off