Here are the rules of the road for school zones, school buses
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. —
Clarksville Police are reminding drivers of the rules of the road as students head back to school.
Travelers should expect delays throughout the school year.
- School Zones are marked with lights or traffic signs - drivers need to be alert, monitor their speed and do not be a distracted driver
- All school zones have a 20 MPH speed limit unless otherwise posted. Speeding in a school zone could result in you being charged with Reckless Driving.
- Pay attention to school crossing guards or officers directing traffic in the school zones
- Take extra care to look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and residential areas
- Be prepared to stop and yield to children in crosswalks. Don't block crosswalks.
- Speeding in a school zone can result in a fine of $269.50 and points on your license.
- If you're behind a school bus, allow more stopping distance. It gives you more time to stop once the yellow light starts flashing.
- It is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus stopped to load or unload children.
- Never pass on the right side of the bus, this is the loading and unloading area for children.
- Meeting a school or church bus - If the red stop warning signal lights are flashing and stop arm is extended, traffic must stop until the stop arm is pulled back and the bus motion resumes.
- Overtaking a school or church bus- drivers approaching from the rear shall not pass when the red stop warning signal lights are flashing and come to a complete stop until the stop signal arm is pulled in and the bus motion is resumed.
- Yellow Flashing Lights - The bus is preparing to stop to load or unload children. Motorists should slow down and prepare to stop.
- Red flashing lights - When the red lights are flashing and stop arm is extended, the bus is stopping to load or unload children. Motorists should stop and wait until the Red flashing lights are turned off, stop arm is retracted and the bus begins to move again before moving their vehicle.
- School Bus violations carry a fine between $250 and $1,000 for not stopping for a stopped school bus. The typical fine is $464.50 and points on your license.