WZTV - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Morgan Hutcherson's Family Home at Risk -- Mikayla Lewis

Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5am and News at 9pm.

COTTONTOWN, Tenn.--Many people are helping Morgan Hutcherson tackle her bucket list, after she was diagnosed with Glioblastoma last year. Some are hoping to help her family, cross something off their to-do list before they lose their home.

Morgan Hutcherson took a moment to get baptized with her dad and brother last night.              

Family friend, Karen Semich says, " They are completely grounded in their faith, and very inspirational to me."

Semich felt inspired to post this on the  prayers for Morgan Facebook page:

                "It was recently brought to my attention that the Hutcherson's home is desperately in need of an electricians help. A couple years ago during a small renovation (removal of a wall going into their dining room), a contractor cut wires running under their house, pulled the wires out, then reconnected them incorrectly. After that took place, they lost power to their HVAC unit. They did have the unit looked at by an electrician friend and it was determined that the unit was fine but something with the wiring was preventing it from running correctly so he inspected the back side of the breaker box and discovered that it was melted. He was able to repair it enough to get the HVAC running but said he'd only put a bandaid over a dangerous problem and it's a fire hazard. Since all of this took place, over half of their outlets don't work and their range/oven caught fire and is no longer working. Needless to say, the Hutcherson's home is a ticking time bomb and a house fire would be devastating. They've been cooking on a single burner that plugs into an outlet, an oversized toaster oven, a microwave, and a crockpot for approximately 2 years now so a new range/oven would be a blessing but the electrical would need to be fixed first. The entire home will need to be rewired so I am reaching out to all of you to see if you will share this in hopes someone reliable and trustworthy will reach out to help them. I know this is a lofty expense but it's also a worry they shouldn't be concerned with during this season of their lives so if you could please share, I would greatly appreciate it."

Semich says, " I just want them to be able to treasure every minute they have. It's the least I can  do. I don't have any electrical experience. But there might be somebody out there that would reach out them and what a weight lifted"

The entire house needs to be re-wired, and will cost thousands of dollars. The family is putting the project on hold because of medical expenses. The Hutcherson's now are only able to cook meals in crock pots and a plug-in burner.

Rick Hutcherson, Morgan's dad says," Given the circumstances we've actually done very well."

Karen Semich says, "They would never tell you if they were struggling or any of this."

That's why Semich says she is telling others , with it just a matter of time before the home catches on fire. The family's safety, photos and memories  with morgan hutcherson are all at risk.

The family is not using Morgan's fundraiser money.

"That money is for making Morgan's dreams come true. They are just living right now and enjoying life, and that's what they need to be focused on," said Semich.

If you would like to help, visit: https://www.facebook.com/Morganhutchersonsfight

Follow Mikayla Lewis on Twitter @MikaylaFox17.

Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.