WZTV - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Stewart Co. H.S. Students Taken to Hospital After Ingesting Hallucinogenic

Stream Fox 17 newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5 am and News at 9 pm.

DOVER, Tenn. - New details tonight from Stewart County where several high school students got sick after taking something most of us have never heard of. School administrators say the kids took Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds.

Tonight, two students are in the hospital while three others are back home. It looks like your average house plant, but when used the wrong way, it creates severe symptoms like many students experienced earlier today.

Stewart County School administrators say they were tipped off this morning about the Hawaiian Baby Woodrose drug being in the school. Symptoms include dizziness, hallucinations, euphoria and vomiting.  About 20 students received medical attention at the school from EMS crews. The five students taken to hospital were between 14-15 years old and were sent to Gateway Medical Center.


Superintendent Dr. Phillip Wallace said, "Our first concern was the safety of the students  and that's what we tried to do by calling in ems."

The Stewart County Sheriff's Office also responded, while parents were notified Wednesday afternoon.


 The Sheriff says Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds are not illegal to buy and can be found on the internet.  School administrators say other students told them  the seeds were bought online. The seeds are listed as a Schedule III drug if taken to get a high.
Stewart County Sheriff Deryk Wyatt says,"It's an educational experience for us as law enforcement were going to have to sit down and do some research on it. I've already been on the phone with our DA and were meeting tomorrow to find out where we need to proceed from here."

School leaders are investigating whether the students were using the seeds as a drug, but the principal is praising those students who told them what was going on.


Principal mike Craig said, "It makes me feel good as a principal and proud that we have students who will step up and do the right thing."

School administrators say they are going to address disciplinary action and possibly with the sheriff's office, once all students are confirmed to be okay.

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose is an ornamental plant once used as a natural pain reliever, but it's now become a cheap way to get high.

It grows in states like Hawaii, Florida, California or as a house plant. In 2009, it was linked to a death in Michigan when a college student stabbed himself after hallucinating. It's a legal plant, so it's easy to buy. Parents, check this out: Your child can actually get 100 seeds on Amazon for about $7. That's something to watch out for.

The story continues to develop. You can get the latest 24/7 here on Fox17.com or Facebook.com/FoxNashville.

Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.