MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Wiring failure caused large fire at Bellevue apartment complex

(Courtesy Chilton Stewart)

The Nashville Fire Department said a electrical wiring failure caused a large fire that damaged dozens of units at the Creekwood Apartments on Monday night.

According to the NFD, an electrical wiring failure ignited 'combustible materials' in a chase between two apartments just after 6:30 p.m. A chase if a groove or space in walls or floors of a building to house piping or ducts.

Fire marshals said the fire then traveled through the chase into the floor space between the first and second floors and then into the attic compartment.

The buildings met codes at the time of construction in 1971, and the NFD said it will have to meet current codes when it's rebuilt. Smoke alarms were working in the building at the time of the fire.

The fire damaged 24 units, according to the Nashville Fire Department. The Red Cross is working with an estimated 60-80 people displaced by the fire.

How to help the fire victims

The American Red Cross set up a shelter at the Bellevue Church of Christ on 7401 Highway 70 S. Staff and case workers are helping fire victims with lodging, financials, food, lost medication, personal needs and counseling. Their phone number is 615-250-4300.

Donations can also be taken to the Tailgate Brewery at 7300 Charlotte Pike. Needed items include clothing, non-perishable food items, home furnishings, gift cards, money, or any other items to help the victims.

A GoFundMe account was also set up by Metro Councilwoman Sheri Weiner to help the fire victims.

"Bellevue always steps up to help our neighbors. Let’s stand together for the victims - moms, dads, sisters, brothers, children and parents - of the fire at Creekwood," the GoFundMe page says. Click here to donate.

Interested parties can follow a Creekwood fire relief group on Facebook.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending