Shelbyville releases new details in safety plans ahead of white nationalist rally
SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) —
Shelbyville has released more details in its safety plan for a white nationalist rally slated for Saturday.
The League of the South and other white nationalist groups plan to hold a "sidewalk rally" from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the intersection of U.S. Highway 231 and Lane Parkway.
- Portions of Lane North Cannon Boulevard will close starting at 4 a.m. Saturday
- Lane Parkway will be closed from the intersection of West Lane Street and Regent Drive to the North Main Street intersection of Lane Parkway.
- North Cannon Blvd will close from the intersection of North Main Street to West Holland Street
- Travelers should take alternate routes
- The city will release when the roads will reopen on Saturday
- Parking restrictions begin at 6 p.m. Friday & will be strictly enforced
- Parking available for counter-protestersat Thomas Magnet School located at 515 Tate Ave. and Harris Middle School at 400 Elm St.
- Weapons of any kind; firearms, knives, electrical weapons, chemical sprays, other items that could be used as a weapon
- Glass, thermal, metal containers including food, liquid or drink cans, coolers of any kind
- Containers, bags, purses, fanny packs, backpacks (required medical items will be allowed)
- Poles, sticks, clubs, baseball/softball bats, golf clubs, umbrellas, selfie sticks, other items used as a weapon
- Masks, gas masks, any type of face covering
- Torches, lanterns, fireworks, any devices that use fire or fuel
- Aerosols, spray cans, pressurized canisters
- Toy or replica weapons
- Animals except working service animals in accordance with the ADA
- Missiles, projectiles, items that could cause injury if thrown
- Laser pointers
- Items determined potential safety hazards