Several people shot during violent weekend in Nashville
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- With five people shot in four shootings in less than 24 hours, it's been a violent weekend in Nashville.
In the latest incident, Metro Police say an 18-year-old, Isaac Lamont Thomas, faces two charges for aggravated robbery and felony possession of a firearm.
Thomas admitted to police he tried to rob the victim over a drug deal on Peabody Street Saturday.
Both the victim and the suspect were shot during a struggle with the gun.
Both are expected to recover, but gun violence prevention advocates say enough is enough.
"Every time you turn on the TV set, it's almost like you see a robbery, someone is getting shot, there's someone being killed by way of gun violence," says Earl Jordan, of Partners in the Struggle.
What changes need to be made served as the topic of a community conversation Saturday at Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church.
Special guest Mayor Megan Barry touted the city's successes getting guns off the streets.
"In 2016, we took 3,713 guns off the street, in 2017 we took 5,402 guns off the street, in 2018 so far to date we've taken 420 off the street," said Barry.
Metro Police Commander Terrence Graves called for more community involvement: if people see something, they need to say something.
To a room full of shooting victims' families, he said far too often are people afraid to speak up, and our safety suffers as a result.
"That is the culture that we need to change, not only in this city but in this country. When you see people throw trash and leave it there, that's the culture in that area. You go to another area and somebody throws down trash they'll pick it up because that's their culture. The culture we need to have here is we're not going to stand for violent crimes."
On Thursday, the Safe Tennessee Project is hosting a discussion about gun violence prevention. It starts at 6 p.m., and is being held at 1900 Church Street, Suite 202B.