Rutherford County warning parents of candy laced with Cannabidiol sold at stores
Authorities said 23 stores in Rutherford County were padlocked on Monday after they were found to be selling candy and other products laced with Cannabidiol.
Cannabidiol is a cannabis compound used for medical conditions. The 23 stores raided were in Rutherford County, Smyrna, La Vergne and Murfreesboro after undercover detectives bought products with CBD oil.
Cannabidiol is an illegal drug being sold in the form of liquids used in vapors, gummy bears, gummy worms and items that commonly look like candy, according to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said Cannabidiol is a Schedule 6 Controlled Substance.
All 23 stores have since been padlocked and will remain closed until a judge deems them safe.
In addition, indictments were issued for 21 people who are accused of selling the illegal products. There's no word on the number of those people who are actually in custody at this time.
The sheriff's department said it began investigating after parents complained about advertisements for the products. Authorities are warning parents to stay vigilant with checking what their children bring home, saying “what appears like candy might not be.”
Law enforcement, including local agencies, drug investigators and the TBI, specifically said Cannabidiol was found in packages that looked like gummy bears. It was sold for anywhere between $7-$70 in packages advertised as mood enhancers and mood relaxers with drawings of marijuana leaves.
Authorities said one location had been manufacturing and selling the oil in the county.
“There’s no regulation on these products,” RCSO Sgt. Will Holton said. “We feel like these products are very unregulated and you don’t know what you are getting. Cannabidiol is a Schedule 6 narcotic and is illegal in the state of Tennessee and cannot be possessed or sold unless prescribed by a doctor and dispensed from a licensed distributor.”
Authorities said different style of products were being sold at these stories including, candy, oil and other items which contained CBD. Authorities said they were all pre-packaged.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
"Cannabidiol is a chemical in the Cannabis sativa plant, also known as marijuana. Over 80 chemicals, known as cannabinoids, have been identified in the Cannabis sativa plant. While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the major active ingredient, cannabidiol makes up about 40% of cannabis extracts and has been studied for many different uses. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), because cannabidiol has been studied as a new drug, products containing cannabidiol are not defined as dietary supplements. But there are still products labeled as dietary supplements on the market that contain cannabidiol.
Cannabidiol has antipsychotic effects. The exact cause for these effects is not clear. However, cannabidiol seems to prevent the breakdown of a chemical in the brain that affects pain, mood, and mental function. Preventing the breakdown of this chemical and increasing its levels in the blood seems to reduce psychotic symptoms associated with conditions such as schizophrenia. Cannabidiol might also block some of the psychoactive effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Also, cannabidiol seems to reduce pain and anxiety."
Stores Raided for selling Cannabidiol-lace Products (according to law enforcement):
- Vapesboro - 1675 Middle Tennessee Blvd.
- Stop-N-Go- 1624b New Salem Hwy
- Stop-N-Shop - 490 Andrews Drive
- Enchanted Planet - 109 East Lytle
- T&B Tobacco & Beer - 5524 North West Broad St.
- Quick Stop Discount Tobacco & Beer - 1722 S. Rutherford Blvd.
- 99 Cents Discounts Tobacco - 3325 Memorial Blvd.
- Kaleidoscope - 3325 Memorial Blvd.
- Y&H Discount Tobacco & Beer - 1600 Memorial Blvd.
- A&M Tobacco & Beer - 2075 South Church St.
- Kaleidoscope - 2992 South Church St.
- Magical Vapors - 517 West Main St.
- Last Stop Market - 6858 Lascassas Pike
- Kwik Sak - 1219 Hazelwood Drive
- TN Vape & Smoke - 901 Rock Springs Road
- Stop & Shop Tobacco & Beer - 901 Rock Springs Rd.
- One Stop Shop Tobacco & Beer - 1872 Almaville Rd.
- Magical Vapors - 504 East Enon Springs Rd.
- Cloud 9 - 105 Jefferson St.
- Waldron Market - 606 Waldron Rd.
- Family Market Discount Tobacco & Beer - 564 Waldron Rd.
- Tobacco Brew & Chew - 5104 Waldron Rd.
- La Vergne Vapor - 5234 Murfreesboro Rd.
The investigation is ongoing.