Maury County Schools releases timeline, allegations against former teacher Tad Cummins
NASHVILLE, Tenn.-- Maury County Public Schools has released a timeline of events in an effort to "clarify" and provide more details surrounding their actions taken against former teacher Tad Cummins before he disappeared with former student Elizabeth Thomas.
The timeline has been questioned by lawyers representing the Thomas family, who say Cummins had not been suspended at the time the allegations were made and add it took over a week before Thomas' father was notified of the allegations.
The timeline released by Maury County Public Schools on Tuesday are as follows:
1. Tues., Jan. 24, 2017: Culleoka Unit School administration was notified by a student concerning an allegation of contact witnessed between Cummins and a student. The complaint stated, “It wasn’t like a make out kiss, just a peck on the lips.” Culleoka Unit School Administration gathered all information that day from the student who was said to have witnessed the alleged inappropriate contact.
2. Wed., Jan. 25, 2017: MCPS Chief of Staff, Dr. Amanda Hargrove, was contacted by Culleoka Unit School administration, and Dr. Hargrove immediately began an investigation.
3. Thurs., Jan. 26 – Mon., Jan. 30, 2017: As per Board policy 5.500 and 6.305, Dr. Hargrove and staff investigated the allegations by interviewing all pertinent parties, including students, staff and administration.
4. Fri., Jan. 27, 2017: The student named in the alleged concern was removed from Cummins’ class and schedule by Culleoka Unit School Administration.
5. Tues., Jan. 31, 2017: MCPS administration was notified by law enforcement that Cummins was the subject of a criminal investigation. MCPS turned over all known information and documentation to law enforcement about the recent allegations against Cummins at Culleoka Unit School, which were still under investigation by MCPS.
6. Fri., Feb. 3, 2017: Late Friday afternoon, MCPS received an allegation that Cummins had been in contact with the same student, despite explicit directives from his supervisor not to interact.
7. Mon., Feb. 6, 2017: At 8 a.m., Dr. Hargrove met with Cummins and suspended him from his duties at Culleoka Unit School.
8. Cummins’ final termination from MCPS was prompted by his allegedly fleeing the area on March 13, reported to MCPS by law enforcement. A termination document was finalized by MCPS on March 14.
It has now been more than a week since Thomas went missing. TBI agents have said they have"no idea" where Thomas and Cummins are and have received no credible sightings, although they have received 250 tips from 24 different states.