Lone Star Tick Bite Could Cause Severe Health Problems
Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5am and News at 9pm.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. We are now in tick season and the Lone Star tick found here in the Mid-State is spreading a deadly disease. Even for a trip to the zoo, the Mallory family never leaves without an EpiPen. It's so Bob Mallory doesn't go into anaphylactic shock. "It was just terrifying," said Daisy Mallory, about her father's last episode. "it was a lone star tick," said Bob. A tick bit Mallory leaving him with a condition known as Alpha-gal. "You become allergic to mammal. Red meat, pork, lamb I can't eat it," said Bob. The lone star tick is now even linked to deaths in three states, including Tennessee. It's infecting people with the heartland virus. "It's a relatively new illness, something we need to be on the lookout for," said Dr. Saad Kahn, a doctor at TriStar Summet Medical Center. Since Mallory's infectious encounter, he's had runs with this tick again, "They are a brown tick and have a little white dot on their back." "One of my friends just got bit today," said Daisy. "You just never know. It's not just when you're hunting or when you're playing golf, it's anytime you're outside." "After being on a hike around the woods, they should have somebody inspect their body," said Dr. Kahn. "Golfing, hunting, anything outdoors," said Mallory. "Walking, on a path through the woods it doesn't matter." Mallory never ventures outside now without spraying himself and his clothes with deet, "I tell everybody just put it on. Put it on because you don't want to go through what I went through." Remember, ticks love to be in wooded areas but they can also hide in tall grass, shrubs, even leaf piles in your own yard.
DOWNLOAD OUR APPS: