MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Alarm clock wakes Columbia family inside house destroyed by fire

House fire on Highland Avenue. (Photo courtesy of Pamela Kelly)

COLUMBIA, Tenn. – Time was on the side of a family inside a house destroyed by a fire in Columbia this morning.

Three fire stations and 25 firefighters responded to a house fire at around 7 a.m. on Saturday on South High Street. Firefighters arrived within two minutes of the call and the house was 70 percent involved when they arrived, according to Columbia Fire Department Chief Ty Cobb

Two adults and an 8-year-old boy were able to escape the burning structure. Chief Cobb says the grandmother got the boy out and went back inside to help the grandfather out.

Chief Cobb says the family realized the house was on fire when an alarm clock woke them up. He does not believe the home had working smoke detectors.

The fire started in the kitchen. Chief Cobb says 100,000 gallons of water was used to put the fire out.

The house is a total loss. Two vehicles were also destroyed.

The grandmother went to the hospital for smoke inhalation and has been released. Family pets are unaccounted for at this time.

The fire was so intense it melted the siding on the neighboring house, according to Chief Cobb.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family.

The fire is not thought to be suspicious and is still under investigation.

Red Cross arrived to assist the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending