Police: Woman Starts Fire to Kill Spider, Charged With Arson
Hutchinson, Kan. (FOX23) -- A Kansas woman may have taken her fear of spiders too far on Friday.
Fire crews told The Hutchinson News that Ginny M. Griffith, 34, was charged with aggravated arson after lighting a fire in order to kill a spider.
SEE ALSO: UPDATE: Dozens of Animals Killed in Joelton Animal Rehab Facility Fire
The woman told officers she used a cigarette lighter in order to ignite some towels on fire, and burn the spider. Instead, Griffith ended up lighting her duplex on fire.
Crews found multiple points of origin for the fire, which they quickly put out. They say the duplex really only suffered smoke damage.
No word on if the spider made it out safely.